i came in third

a different topic everyday

I am not sure i knew exactly what i signed on for when i decided to do a Top Ten list for Friday's on icameinthird. Today's topic is the Top Ten All Time Best Cartoons. I have to admit this was much harder than I thought it would be. Also, you must realize that the top ones that I picked had to do with their popularity and length running. These are the ALL-TIME Best cartoon and by no means listed as my personal favorites.

10) Fraggle Rock

Now I realize this show and the #9 picj are not technically cartoons but they are hallmarks of childhood for a generation, however, because of their lack of animation I did go ahead and default them to the bottom of the Top Ten List....




9) The Muppet Show

The Muppet Show makes it for many reasons from Kermit & Piggy to Animal and my favorties Statler & Waldorf. But I think it was really a Saturday Night Live for Kids in the affect of guest hosts and skits. I am thinking that secretly this was created by Lorne Michals too so kids were used to this as they grew into watching SNL....




8) Carebears

So basically this is the default #8 because it is anumated (hence placing it higher than The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock on that merit ALONE. Plus Title IX requires me to a 'female friendly' cartoon......
(i do have to confess that i used to watch the carebears and actually even had a funshine bear. Does that make me gay? However, I was a much bigger fan of the Carebear Cousins and really liked Brave Heart (Lion), Swift Heart (Rabbit), and mostly Playful Heart (monkey). that said, i guess this is a coming out of the closet blog post.)




7) Garfield

Garfield was really more of a staple in my house in the Sunday paper but they did have a very successful Saturday morning cartoon for a few years. It was good, as a kid, to actually have a particular voice to put with the words i would read in the paper. Anyone else find it creepy that Jon could always understand what Garfield was saying even though his mouth never moved?



6) Yogi Bear

"Hey Hey BOO BOO!!!" really just reminds me of a creepy uncle i used to have who would hide behind a door on Halloween and try to scare us. I am not sure if he ever realized that was used by Yogi as more of a 'hello, how you doin' type of conversation rather that a 'try to make you pee your pants' thing. Personally, i blame this cartoon for the childhood obesity rate since the damn bear never gained any weight!! They should have been preparing all of us for the marriage weight we would some day have to deal with. (but then again, i heard that started making Cookie Monster eat healthy snacks and less cookies and i called him a wus!)



5) The Jetsons

I don't think I'll get much flack for this one being at #5 but honestly, i never watched it.



4) The Flintstones

Now, i always liked Dino the best and Bam Bam but could have really done w/o Rosie O'Donnell ruining my childhood memories.



3) Scooby Doo

Speaking of ruining your childhood memories. Scooby Doo is the epitome of the wrong show for kids to watch but watch we did!! and loved it too! Anyone else ever notice how when Scooby and Shaggy got out of the mystery machine smoke would billow out after them; they ALWAYS had the munchies; Velma, as I am sure you know, is a lesbian; and why was it that Fred and Daphne would always go off somewhere for half the show and then show back up with some part of their clothing in a different position than when they left *wink, wink*. But that aside, GREAT cartoon that was good clean family fun!



2) The Smurfs

I really struggled with this one being #2, instead of #1, but in the end i had to concede the point because of the complete domination of the #1 pick in the cartoon industry for decades. The Smurfs were a great show though and if you can find the SNL skit with Garth Brooks from 1999, again, you'll be disturbed.



1) Looney Toons

As I stated above Looney Toons wins the #1 spot for it's ability to stay soo popular for soo long and with so many signature characters, top of which is Bugs Bunny.





In My research for all of this I came across several of my old favorites that I had all but forgot about form my childhood. If i get a chance to post tomorrow I will add give you a list of those with some intros. If you want to get a head start on comments for tomorrow go check out RetroJunk.com and see what sparks your memory from your childhood!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about HE-MAN, GI-JOE, THUNDERCATS, or are you to "OLD" to remember those? :O)

I like your top-ten! I am glad the fraggle rock and the muppets made it. If any one disses the care bears then they are stupid! I will say that as a boy i liked the cousins much more as well!! Without a doubt i would say that Looney Toons are number 1!

Jason said...

I lived for Garfeld on Saturday morning. It was on at 7:30 am on CBS and was the first cartoon of the morning.

Subscribe